Monday, April 20, 2015

Finished a bobbin today!

I finished off this bobbin only moments ago!

This is about two ounces, one of three bags of fiber in this batch.  It is angora blend roving - 10% angora rabbit, 75% CVM wool, 15% mohair, in the color way Plum.  I bought three 2-ounce bags at Rhinebeck in October 2013.  (My receipt says 10/12/13.)  I have now swapped bobbins, to begin the second bag.  I'm planning to spin each bag separately, and do a three-ply when I'm finished.

Monday, April 13, 2015

They all look so different!

Spring is certainly a time of great change.  The temperatures are finally starting to moderate, the sun has been out more, and feels wonderful (although we've still had our fair share of gray days).  The hens are laying again.  And yesterday my two little Shetland sheep were sheared!  Cindy Yeager and her husband Jerry, of Ewe & I Farm, did a great job.  I am grateful that there are shearers who will come out to shear such a small number of animals.

They look even smaller now!  They are quite cute.  At this point they are still less than a year old.  They won't be one until May.  This is what they looked like last November:

The sheep aren't the only ones that look different!  We bought a new batch of chicks in February, from Dodge Grain in Salem, NH.  Our laying hens are getting older, and I wanted some new colors and breeds in the henhouse.  We picked up 12 chicks - 3 each of Buff Orpington, Welsummer, Barred Rock, and Silver-laced Wyandotte.

This is what they look like now, just about six weeks later.  They will very soon be joining the other chickens in the coop.

Sunday, April 5, 2015

A beautiful new toy - not fiber related!

Last year, around September or October, I started taking guitar lessons.  I have never been the least bit musical, but my grandson loves music, and I thought it would be fun to play and sing to him.  I picked up a second-hand black Yamaha guitar inexpensively on Craigslist, and started taking lessons with that.  Several weeks later I found out that Ibanez makes a purple guitar, and hunted down one of those.

I have continued to take guitar lessons.  I can play a few things - slowly and still a bit haltingly, but coming from no musical background, I am not displeased with my progress.  I get to practice 2 to 4 nights a week, generally for an hour or so at a time.

I bought the baby a toy ukulele, and look forward to being able to play with him.  I haven't had the chance yet.  I try to keep my practicing confined to the basement so I don't inflict my practice sessions on others - like hubby, when he's working.  When the weather warms up I'm hoping the grandson and I can play together outside, perhaps.  We're also clearing out part of the living room.  Up til now it's been home to a large computer desk, which tends to accumulate clutter (also known as craft projects).  Hubby has created space in the basement for a computer room/office (even though he mostly still works from the couch).  The desk will be the next thing to go, once it's emptied out.  I mean, how many people still need bunches of CD games and 3-1/2" floppy disks!  The space that is now occupied by the desk will eventually be home to my spinning wheel(s) and possibly the Ibanez guitar.

I have been looking at other guitars all along, however.  I originally planned to get an Ibanez in figured ash as a second guitar.  Then I decided to explore other brands.  I eventually decided to try some Taylors.  I saved up several hundred dollars, intending it to be used toward either a new guitar or a new spinning wheel.  Yesterday hubby and I went guitar shopping.  I got to try quite a few models, and found that I didn't care for the tone of some of the Taylor guitars I thought I would really like!  It was quite a revelation to me.  I ended up getting a Taylor 214ce-DLX from the Manchester Music Mill in Manchester, NH.  My birthday is at the end of the month; this will definitely be counted as one of the best birthday gifts ever!

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Another finish - no fooling'!

Happy April Fool's Day!

This morning I sewed up the green baby sweater, ran all the ends in, and even attached the buttons.  I still need one more button; I'm planning to go out and get that this afternoon.  In the meantime I got pictures, and even got the intended recipient to model it for me!

Onward with the next one - the Wallaby that is currently in progress.